You’ve started a blog or have a blog already but struggling to choose the right theme? Then I want to show you some great WordPress blog themes that will make your newbie blog look like a pro.
I have tried many themes from the list below and other themes that I have not mentioned in this post. I will be sharing my experience with using these themes and giving you mini reviews to help you choose the right one for your blog.
You may not realise this but your blog theme is so much more than just about making your site look good.
The theme you choose affects:
- The speed of your site (Your readers will leave your site if it’s slow)
- Optimized for search engines(This is important and it effects traffic to your site)
- How user-friendly your site is
- Level of customization
- A reflection of your brand
You dont want to have all this amazing content on your blog just for your theme to let you down on speed or SEO.
All the themes mentioned below are customizable to fit your needs and good for every niche. They also tick the 5 boxes above for great speed, brilliant seo, user-friendly, customizable and reflects your brand well.
6 Great WordPress Blog Themes – Beginner/Intermediate Bloggers
The following 6 themes are great for every kind of blogger but esspecially if you have no website building knowledge and new to building a site. If your a newbie to blogging then you want something thats great looking, easy and effective.
Theme #1: DIVI
The Divi theme was the first theme I bought and I absolutely love it. Divi was created by Elegant Themes, who are renowned for making excellent themes. Elegant Themes consider Divi a visual page builder as well as a theme as it cn build things such as landing pages.
It is the most customizable and user-friendly theme. Not to mention it’s the easiest theme for a newbie blogger navigate. You can create your blog design exactly how you want it, with simple drop and drag boxes.
- No Coding Needed – How amazing is this?!? You can create a great looking site that requires no coding. This was a massive plus for me as I dont have a clue about coding.
- Customizable At Every Point– Divi has these easy to use drop and drag builder boxes to help you create your theme design, pages and posts. It’s as easy as that. You can create a website how you want it to look and it will look like some top web developer made it – Pretty Awesome!
- 49 Templates – If your really not sure where to start with the Divi theme, then it comes with 49 pre-made templates you can use to customize.
- Beginner Friendly – It super easy for a new blogger to customise and use. Nothing comes easier than drop and drag boxes. It also makes the changes to your theme in real time, so you dont have to wait to change anything. You can make changes as you go. I found this really useful as a new blogger.
- Great Dedicated Support – Divi has lots of documentation to help you build your site. They have an excellent customer support team that can help with all your questions.
- Translated into 32 Languages – Divi might be the only theme I know that can be translated into 32 languages.
- Can be expensive if your on a small budget – Divi Theme costs $89 a year. Yes, Its not free but its so inexpensive for what you actually get. As well as the Divi theme, you get 86 of the other themes that Elegant Themes created. You also get full access to all their premium plugins. $89 for all of that is amazing!
- Easily Distracted – This is a con and a pro at the same time. Because you can go whole hog with customization, you might get distracted by spending way to much time in the beginning trying to get your blog looking “perfect”. The look of your blog will change over time so dont get to hung up on how it looks when you first start blogging. First focus on awesome content and traffic.
“Client’s love Divi because it gives them the power to modify their own content without having to learn the in and outs of an often-confusing WordPress interface.” – Divi quote
EASY… thats what a new blogger needs.
This is the best theme for any blogger who wants full customization without coding. Plus Divi will last you for the lifetime of your blog.
Theme #2: Thrive Themes
Thrive Themes is very similar to Divi in the fact that they are both visual editors. Making them both really easy to use and customizable. Thive Themes has a builder called Thrive Architect.
Thrive Themes pride themselves on creating products for conversion optimization, i.e to help you build a blog that brings engaging readers, leads and customers. From my experience, Thrive Architect does this pretty well! You can create some beautiful looking pages with Thrive.
- Create High Converting Sales Page – This feature is what makes Thrive Themes so special. You can create amazing sales pages and opt-in forms. This comes in handy when your looking to develop your blog further. It saves you lots of money as you dont need to buy othe expensive products such as Leadpages to create landing pages.
- No Technical Knowledge or Coding Needed – No coding need. Just simply to use boxes that you can edit.
- Fully Customizable – Thrive is more customizable than Divi but only by a little bit.You can change width size more easily with Thrive.
- Built For Speed – Even though its fully customizable, it still maintains great speed.
- Plus User-Friendly, Great Support With Tutorials and Plenty Of Templates.
- Costs More– You have to buy an annual membership to get access to all the Thrive products, which costs a whopping $228! You do get access to all of the Thrive Themes products which will save you money in the long run but nevertheless its still alot of money to pay if your just starting a new blog or have a small budget.
Thrive themes is great for any blogger that wants an all round package of themes, tools and plugins. It costs more for this reason but it delivers in masses. With the Thrive theme membership you can pretty much have all the tools you will ever need to bulid a successful blog.
Theme #3: Splash
Splash is a beautiful looking theme that delivers for such an affordable price. Its simply formatted and allows for a powerful slider, responsive design and some customization. I have seen many suceessful affilate marketers use Splash for their niche site because of its easy but effective design.
- Super Affordable – Splash only costs $19. That’s amazing for such a modern and clean looking theme. $19 is fairly cheap for a theme that is SEO ready, 100% responsive and fast.
- Easy Theme For Product Reviews – It includes an in-built rating system that allows you to create amazing product reviews. This is brilliant if your wanting to focus on affiliate marketing.
- 1 Year Of Updates & Support – Splash offers a 1 click installation, video tutorials and 24/7 technical support.
- Not As Customizable – The Splash theme is no where near as customizable as Divi or Thrive Themes . If you dont know coding, then your going to have real trouble with change the standard design of Splash.
If your strapped for cash but want something that is more optimzed and customizable than a free theme, then go with Splash. It wont fail you!
Theme #4: Nisarg (Free Theme)
I wanted to share a free theme with you that has a nice balance of design and optimization. Nisarg is a free theme that does the job with a beautiful style. It’s one of the more popular free themes as it comes in an easy blog post layout with a good level of speed. It can make your newbie site look professional.
- Free – Not to state the obvious but its a free theme. This is a massive pro if you have no budget or just starting a blog and want to get your feet wet first before commiting to this blogging thing.
- Beautiful Design – Nisarg is designed well for a free theme and
- Free – I bet you’ve heard that saying “There is no such thing as a free lunch”. Well that pretty much applies to the world of blogging too. It’s a great looking theme but at some point your going to want more than the basics and so will your readers!
- Very Small Customization – Apart from colors, you cant really change anything about this theme. It would be difficult to create a brandable design for your blog with this theme.
Nisarg is a great theme if you really dont have any money to spare. I understand (being broke isnt fun 🙁 ) that its really difficult when your first starting out to cough up like $200 in a month just to buy a domain, hosting and an excellent theme.
So if your really stuck then get this free theme. Its more important to spend those precious dollars on good hosting. You can buy a paid theme later.
If you can strech the budget, then I recommend getting a paid theme as it’s a valuable investment.
Theme #5: X Theme
The X theme was created by Themeco and is the 2nd best-selling wordpress theme on ThemeForest. It’s similar to Divi in the sense that it also uses a page builder called Cornerstone. Cornerstone is a drop and drag builder that works on the front end of your site. X Theme boasts itself as “The Ultimate WordPress Theme” which can be seen in all it’s features.
- Cost – X Theme costs a reasonable at $59. For such a powerful theme I would of expected it to cost upwards of $100.
- Solid Level of Customization – X theme offers a great amount of flexibilty when it come to making your own personal customizations. No two sites that use the X Theme look the same.
- Plugin Compatible – X theme is highly compatible with most plugins that you would need. You wont find yourself struggling to use a good plugin just because your theme doesnt like it.
- Steep Learning Curve – From my personal experience of the X theme, I found it very difficult to navigate and actually know where to even start. Once you have learnt how to use the X theme, it becomes really easy to create stunning looking sites. This steep learning curve is not what you need though if you dont have time to invest education yourself on the X Theme.
The X theme is great for anyone looking for a cheaper theme (than Dive & Thrive Themes) that offer a high level of customization without changing the main functionality of the theme.
There’s one theme thats even more faster, optmized and responsive than the rest of the themes on the market.
Before you scroll down, I need to let you know that Genesis is not for the faint hearted. It requires some level of customization through coding to get your site looking the way you want it. It is not for new bloggers.
Let me repeat.
Geneisis is not for new bloggers!
You can go ahead now 🙂
Theme #6: Genesis Framework
The Genesis framework was created by studiopress. Genesis offers the best balance of seo, performance and speed. Its considered the fastest wordpress framework on the market. This is important because when your getting 500,000+ visitors to your site a month, you cant afford for it to load at a snails pace or even worse, CRASH. Thats why many bloggers eventually move their site to Genesis.
The NEED for SPEED!
- Amazing Speed – As I mentioned above, the Genesis framework is lighting fast and has no competitors when it comes to speed.
- 100% Customizable – If you have a developer or know a bit of coding, then you have the ability to fully customize your site to how you want to look. Coding can pretty much change every aspect of your site design.
- Expensive – Genesis costs $59.95 which isnt actually that bad. But, you have to buy a child theme also which can cost upwards of $100. Oh, and dont forget you might need to pay for a developer that costs way more than your rent. Ekk!
- Need to Know Some Coding – Yup, coding and other technical knowledge is needed because its incredibly hard to make your site look the way you want without it. I’ve literrally spent hours just to find one bit of code that would make my logo fit the way I wanted it to.
- Not for Beginners – Genesis is complex but powerful. It’s going to be very.
If you’r an experienced blogger that gets a high level of traffic to your site, then you’ll want to invest in Genesis. It will cost you a little bit in the beginning but it will improve so many aspects of your blog.
These great WordPress blog themes can make your new blog look likes it’s been designed by a top notch developer. You don’t need to have any technical or coding knowledge. There all really simple to use but create stunning results.
If your looking for the perfect blog theme then check out my guidance below on what blog theme you should get:
- Best Theme For Beginner Bloggers: Divi
- Best Affordable Theme: Splash
- Best Free Theme: Nisarg
- Best Theme For Blogging/Wordpress Experts: Genesis
- Best Overall Themes: Divi or Thrive Themes
All the themes above have you covered with what you need.
Remember you can always change your theme at a later date. So dont stress too much about it, pick one and start your exciting blogging journey.
If you’ve not started a blog yet and would like to know how to start a successful blog, then check out my post:
Feel free to leave a comment below or any questions that you have.